Saturday, December 8, 2012

A beautiful prayer

Today, the Catholic Church celebrates the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.  Years ago, I pondered the theology behind this feast in light of criticism from other sects, and I came to the conclusion -- or revelation, as I now believe it was -- that, to the extent we have the slightest sin (or fullness of self, rather than of God), we cannot receive what God has to offer us.  Thus, in order to receive the fullness of God, Who is Jesus Christ, God incarnate in the world, Mary had to be sinless -- immaculate.  Only she-who-was-empty-of-self/sin could have received the fullness of God Himself.

Here is a beautiful prayer I found today:

Mary, pray that I may treasure life
beauty
goodness
opportunity
truth.
 
Mary, pray that I may ponder
how to defend life
how to see and hear beauty
how to affirm and share goodness
how to grasp and utilize opportunity
how to seek and proclaim truth.
 
Mary, pray that I treasure what I have
and ponder what I might become.  Amen
 
[p. 66, The People's Prayer Book]

No comments:

Post a Comment