Sunday, July 17, 2022

New Dimensions in Prayer

 In my last entry, I wrote about listening to the voice within as a way of praying -- allowing the Spirit to lead us into the deepest dimensions of our hearts and minds.  

A few weeks ago, as I entered into my hour of adoration before the Blessed Sacrament, I spontaneously began a dual list in my notebook -- something I had never done previously.  On one side of the page, I wrote "Gratitude." On the other side, "Petitions."  Without really thinking too much, I quickly jotted down all the events and people that came to mind in each category.  After a few minutes, I stopped writing and began to meditate/pray/think about each item on the list.  Surprisingly, that hour of prayer sped by quickly as I pondered my dual lists.

Since that day, I have begun each day with some sort of brief list --- reminders (the traditional "to do" list), quotations, ideas, etc.  I've never been a fan of "to do" lists because I never seem to be able to complete the tasks, but allowing my list to include other things on my mind is more helpful to me.

As often happens in the spiritual life, we first have an experience/ an encounter, and later we find the words to explain or describe what we have experienced.  A few days ago in my reading, I came across a mention of Marilyn McIntyre's book called Make a List: How a Simple Practice Can Change our Lives.  Someone once said, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears."  This saying certainly seemed to apply in my case!

Ms. McIntyre's introduction spoke directly to my experience:

As we add lines to a list, we become aware of the voice in us that speaks when we listen.  This is an experience I often have in prayer or meditation: a sentence or a phrase comes from somewhere other than my busy ego-mind.  I experience it as a gift received.....Something in the momentum of list-making opens corners of the mind that can be hard to reach and gives the inner voice a say.

Paying attention is the first step toward love.  We can love only what we notice, name, return to, and reflect on. 

I have read only a few pages of Make a List, but I can already see that what I might have dismissed as a "one-off" experience of making a list may become a great tool in listening to and discerning the Voice of the Holy Spirit in guiding my life.  I am eternally grateful to the Spirit of God who has always listened to me better than I have learned to listen to Him!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment