Sunday, July 3, 2022

It's a Real Thing !

 Our house has been on the market for four months.  The appraiser had said that this home would sell within a month, with multiple offers.  She was wrong; the house needs updating and re-painting.  Over the past few months, the gardens have become neglected and weedy.  It seems no one else loves the house the way I did.

Yesterday, on the way into church, I met our realtor who had shown the house twice this weekend.  No luck!  He talked about all the things we need to do to make the house attractive again.  I went into Mass totally discouraged and dejected -- even fearful.  What would we do if the house does not sell?  As Mass progressed, I felt even worse, thinking about worst-case scenarios.  In addition, after being away on a trip for the past few weeks, I was seeing people I had not seen in awhile, and thinking that I really did not want to socialize after Mass because of my obsession with the house situation.

As I received the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ in Communion, I heard some gentle words spoken to me in my spirit:  If God has given us His Son, how will He not give us all things else besides?  I knew these words to be a paraphrase of Romans 8:32 --If God did not spare His Son, will He not give us all things else besides?  My response was, "Jesus, I know that in this sacrament, I receive not only your physical body but your own peace and joy as well."  In other words, not only His body, but His spirit is given to us in communion.

By the end of Mass, I realized that my fear and worry had gone; I was experiencing peace and joy, and I was more than ready to meet all my friends and catch up on their news.  I am amazed at the transformation that took place in me in just a few minutes!  But the story does not end there.  This morning I flipped through an old book that had been set aside for donation.  Inside I found a card with these words:

Holy Communion has as its distincct effect to form in us the mind and heart of Christ.  The subtle effects of transformation that take place in the depths of a Christian's soul are visible only to God.  The changes effected by Holy Communion are imperceptible, but that does not mean they are not real.  The operation of the Blessed Sacrament may be likened to the invisible, slow, and mysterious working of the seedling in the earth.

We think the effect of each communion is small because we do not understand what immense opposition to His transforming love Our Lord finds in the soul of each one of us.  We should stir up our minds and hearts to a vivid realization that when we receive Jesus Christ, we are receiving God the Son, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, Who comes to us united with His Sacred Humanity, prepared to use it an instrument of His Divine Power to effect a wonderful change in us. 

I do not know the source of the quote, but of all the books I might have picked up this morning, I happened to pick up this one and find the card inside.  Shortly afterwards, I opened my Kindle to continue reading a book I began some time ago -- The Whole Language: The Power of Extravagant Tenderness by Gregory Boyle.  The very first words I read were these:  We talk about the Incarnation being necessary.  Indeed, it was.  Not because of sin....but because God's love needed to become tender.  There was an urgency for it to become touch and smell and action and listening; to become tenderness in the flesh. 

Jesus said, "My peace I give to you; not as the world gives it. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (Jn. 14:27).  And "My joy is yours, that your joy may be complete" (John 15:11).  Teresa of Avila said this: "Just these two words God spoke changed my life: 'Enjoy Me.'"

The aim of our lives is to enjoy God forever, beginning right now.  And in the Sacrament of Communion, He gives us the Way to do just that -- I am the Way.....

Our sacrament is not "symbolic," as some believe.  It's a Real Thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment