Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Unopened Treasure

One of the things I love about Catholicism is its hidden treasures of the past.  Once you begin reading people like Augustine, Ignatious of Antioch, Gregory of Nyssa, Teresa of Avila, Therese of Liseux, Henry Cardinal Newman, C.S.Lewis (although not technically Catholic)... modern writings seem pale by comparison.  And one of the things that keep me from writing on a regular basis is my reading of these great treasures.  I always think, "They have said it all; what can I add?"

However, the truth is that for most people today, these treasure remain hidden and unread. Instead of my trying to enter into the circle of the greats, I should just be satisfied with bringing some of these treasures to the light of our 21st-century awareness.  And one of the treasure chests I'd like to open today is that of Gertrude the Great, or Gertrude of Helfta (1256-1301).  Like Hildegaard of Bingen, this woman was a spiritual giant, a German Benedictine nun, mystic, and scholar.  Since she can easily be found on the internet, I'll skip the rest of her accomplishments in order to present one of her joyful prayer-hymns:

With the well-tuned, harmonious harp of your divine heart,
and through the power of your Holy Spirit, the Paraclete,
I sing to you, Lord God, lovable Father.
I sing you songs of praise and thanksgiving for all creatures
in heaven, on earth, and under the earth, 
for all which are and were and will be born.

I give you thanks to the best of my ability, Lord God.
You created and re-create me.
Thank you for your kind forgiveness
and for reassuring me of your unending love,
flowing down from up above.

Be my honor, Lord,
my joy, 
my beauty,
my consolation in sorrow,
my counsel in uncertainty,
my defense in everything unfair,
my patience in problems,
my abundance in poverty,
my food in fasting,
my sleep in vigilance,
and my therapy in weakness.

Such richness we have --- unopened treasures of song and thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment