Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Pearl of Great Price

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let you hearts be troubled and do not be afraid...(Jn. 14:27).
 
Do not be terrified [by the people you now fear], for the Lord your God, who is among you, is a great and awesome God (Deut. 7:21).
 
What is the peace that Jesus promised to us?  It is the state of a soul that is at rest with God, with other people, and with oneself.  It is the "Pearl of Great Price" hidden in a field, for which a man will give all that he has.  How many people today would give all that they have to be at rest with God, with other people, and with themselves? 
 
Peace with God, with others, and with oneself is structured by the Law and the Commandments in the Old Testament, by Judaism, and by modern-day religions.  That is why people follow their religion -- to find the Pearl of Great Price.  But to many, it is still a 'hidden treasure' for which they search.  If we walk in the right paths, those paths should lead us to peace -- but for many, it is still an elusive treasure. 
 
At one time in my life, I tried yoga and transcendental meditation, among other avenues, in my search for peace.  These paths worked for a time, for the time I could spend practicing them.  But Jesus said, "Not as the world gives do I give it to you."  Now I know what He meant ---the peace He gives is not dependent on my practice of some ritual or another, whether yoga or chanting or offering some sacrifice.  Rather, Christ dwelling in me is my peace; His words soothe my soul because He, the Good Shepherd, speaks them to me -- not because I speak them to myself. 
 
The words from Jesus Calling today are an example:
 
Linger in my presence a while.  Rein in your impulses to plunge into the day's activities.  Beginning your day alone with Me is essential preparation for success.  A great athlete takes time to prepare himself mentally for the feat ahead of him before he moves a muscle.  Similarly, your time of being still in My Presence equips you for the day ahead of you.  Only I know what will happen to you this day.  I have arranged the events you will encounter as you go along your way.  If you are not adequately equipped for the journey, you will grow weary and lose heart.  Relax with Me while I ready you for action.
 
Peace is the result of knowing that whatever challenges, enemies, or tasks we face for each day, we are prepared to meet -- not because of our own strength and resources, but because there is One with us (Emmanuel) who has overcome the world.  If we know this, if we experience the 'great and awesome God' who is with us, there is nothing to fear, for "we know that all things work together for good for those who know the Lord and who are called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28).
 
Who would not give "all that he has" to possess such a great treasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment