Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Driver's ED

"Move over," says Jesus to me, "let me drive this vehicle.  You keep running into things and making me nervous.  You're talking to Me as you drive, but you don't know where you are going and you keep taking your eyes off the road as you get distracted by things on the sidelines.  Pulling you out of the ditches of your life is getting pretty old here, though I am willing to keep doing it."

"No, no, Lord; I really think I've got it this time.  I know I've messed up before, but now I'm on the right road (I can feel it), and with You sitting in the back seat giving directions, I'm pretty sure I know how to drive now."

"Okay," He tells me.  "Go ahead."

On the old familiar roads, I've kind of figured out how to navigate around the roadblocks by just ignoring them.  It's the new roads, the new relationships that throw me.  I try to drive carefully, but since I don't know what to expect, I find myself running off the road once again.  Still, I like being in control of my own life; I enjoy driving, even when I repeatedly crash into other cars and street signs.
"Ha!" I say to myself; "they shouldn't have been in my way.  Don't they know enough to move?"

"It's not my fault, Lord. I was minding my own business, and they ran into me!"

"Get in the back seat," He says.  "Let Me drive."

I'm really thinking about it.  Hopefully, I won't kill anyone before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment