Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Listening to God

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you and watch over you.
[alternate translation: "Let me guide you with mine eye."]
 
Do not be like the horse or the mule,
which have no understanding
but must be controlled by bit and bridle
or they will not come to you.
Many are the woes of the wicked,
but the Lord's unfailing love
surrounds the man who trusts in him (Ps. 32:8-10)
 
One of the New Testament passages reminds us to 'pray always.'  I have heard people question how that can be done.  But I think the question betrays an understanding of 'pray' as 'saying prayers' -- or of talking to God always.  And actually, "talking to God always" is a more do-able approach than 'saying prayers.'
 
However, we might also think of prayer as simply remaining in the presence of God, bringing everything before Him for His glance, His consideration, His thoughts on the matter -- and then getting our own estimations, opinions, and thoughts out of the way in order to listen to Him.  We often think of Lent as a time of "doing something," giving up something in order to exercise self-control, etc.  But what if we -- for 40 days -- lived in the Presence of God, allowing Him to do what He promises us:  instructing, counseling, teaching.  What an adventure that would be!
 
I included the alternate translation "Let me guide you with mine eye" in the quotation above because it reminds me of a devoted child being guided by the eye, rather than the voice, of his mother.  I once had a dog who so wanted to please me that she always watched my face for approval or disapproval.  Even as a puppy, she never chewed shoes or furniture because she wanted to make me happy.  Later, as she gained self-control, I could walk her through the neighborhood without a leash; I could trust her to listen to my commands.
 
Some children, too, are so sensitive to their mother's moods and wishes that they can be guided with a look.  They know instantly to stop what they are doing or to put into practice something their mother wishes.  I remember when my grandchild was about 4 years old.  I bought a book for her called God's Little Girl.  One of the pages illustrated a child being kind to another, younger, child on the playground.  Later that day, I took my grandchild to the park.  There was only one other child there, a little two-year old.  My grandchild went up to the toddler and asked if she wanted to play.  She offered to play a game with the dolls and stuffed animals my granddaughter insisted on bringing to the park with her.  I could see her imitating the pictures and words in the book we had read that morning.  After we left, I said to her, "You were really 'God's little girl today, weren't you?"  She nodded happily.
 
Now that is a child who can be guided by grace -- by a look, by a thought. 
 
How guidable are we?  Do we know God well enough to know what He is thinking?  Can we know His thoughts toward us?  Lent might be a great time to find out.

2 comments:

  1. I think there is a freedom in lifting our heart and mind to Christ.There is a time for formal prayer but I like to include Him in everything. When we don't know how to pray we can pray in the Spirit. It is the perfect prayer.I also find peace in just sitting before the blessed sacrament & just be. I think God loves all forms of prayer especially prayer from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We would have to give up something in our hearts in order to fit The Sacred Spirit in, ego maybe?

    ReplyDelete