Thursday, July 12, 2012

Ecce Homo

Because you came to me, saying, "Show me your God; I want to know Him,"
I showed you the One I love.
But you scorned and mocked both me and Him:
"You are a fool, and He is not worthy."

I wanted you to see the sweet Rose of Sharon,
the One my heart loves,
But the sneer cut deep:
"Can anything good come out of Nazareth?"

Once again, you crucify both my Beloved and me.
And here we are again, risen from the death of your disdain and disgust:
Crowned with thorns, backs bloody with ridicule and misunderstanding.

I cry out, wanting to walk away, to cut the cords of love and care,
But my Beloved holds fast:
"The reason I came into the world was to destroy the work of Satan.
I gave my back to those who beat me; my cheeks to those who plucked my beard.
Will you, too, walk away?"

1 comment:

  1. This is hauntingly beautiful. Is it your original poetry?

    ReplyDelete