Friday, June 15, 2012

Celebration!

35 years ago today, June 15, 1977, I entered the hospital for major surgery.  That morning, my roommate, whose last name I still do not know, prayed for me to receive the Holy Spirit, and my life changed forever.  On that day, in the words of Isaiah 61, I received "a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment or praise instead of a spirit of despair (or faintness)."

I knew immediately that with her simple prayer, I was different.  What I could not know then was that the Gift for which she prayed would remain with me forever.  In fact, when I went back to my doctor for a follow-up visit after surgery, I expressed concern that I would lose the Gift, let it go through neglect or indifference. He assured me that I did not "have" the Holy Spirit, but that He had me, and He would not let me go, no matter what.  He spoke wisdom.  All these years, despite my own craziness and wandering around, the Holy Spirit has remained faithful to me.  He has continued to do His part, even when I was not doing mine.

Before that morning, I was worried about everything that "might" happen: world-wide famine (as predicted by Edgar Cayce for the late 70's and 80's), sickness, etc.  Afterwards, my fears disappeared and were replaced by confidence in the care of God, no matter what.  Before that morning, I seemed to be angry over everything and about nothing; afterwards, my anger slowly dissolved into peace and joy.  Before then, I was timid, shy, and afraid to let "my light shine."  Afterwards, I found myself, even in the hospital after surgery, going into people's rooms and telling them about the love and compassion of God -- who was this strange person that I had become?

Before that prayer, I never read the Bible and never intended to read the Bible.  Afterwards, I could not stop reading the Bible.  Beginning that day with the Acts of the Apostles, and reading about Pentecost, I realized that that was what had happened to me!  I was intrigued and kept reading all the way to the end.  And then I began from Genesis and read it all again.  And then I began to study the Bible:  history, geography, commentaries.  Even today, when I open the first page of Genesis, I am in awe, as if reading it for the first time!

Before that day, my prayer was a cry for help, and a cry of despair:  "What do you want from me?"  Afterwards, I heard praise and thanksgiving and singing coming out of my heart and soul.  I started noticing other people on the street and praying for them, loving them without knowing why or how.  When I read "The love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit," I understood what was happening to me.  God's own love was replacing my shriveled, selfish heart, and the Holy Spirit was creating in me a new heart, made after His image and likeness.

Before then, I was put off by the "emotionalism" expressed by Charismatic worship and evangelistic people; afterwards, I was drawn to them and wanted to learn all I could about the Holy Spirit and His work.  I began to attend prayer meetings and even became a leader in our local group.  Before, I was afraid to allow God to enter my life, afraid of what He might ask me to do.  Afterwards, I welcomed His Presence, knowing that whatever He did was good and perfect and for my joy, not my hurt.

I still turn away from all that God wants to do; I still remain unfinished and incomplete -- but He continues to work on me.  And I am forever thankful for the dramatic change He effected in me.  As my doctor told me, His love becomes deeper and greater with each passing year, and He is faithful to complete what He has begun in me.  I look forward to 35 more years of the Holy Spirit's action in my life:  He brings me into the Presence of God, and God's Presence into me.  What more could anyone ask or desire?

No comments:

Post a Comment