Thursday, August 18, 2011

Jeanne de Chantal

We all need role models and mentors so that we can see "how it's done."  Examples and models are so much more powerful than explanations and lessons.  And our role models need to be non-judgmental toward us as we fumble along, making our mistakes along the way.

Now that I am taking my first painting class, I sometimes find it frustrating that I cannot achieve the same effects as my role-model, the instructor.  "The best time for a tight-rope walker to make a mistake," he told me yesterday, with a twinkle in his eye, "is when he's on the ground, just learning."

Today, I read that Jeanne de Chantal, the mother of seven children and a widow at an early age, wrote this:  No matter what happens, be gentle with yourself.

Sometimes put yourself very simply before God, certain of His presence everywhere, and without any effort, whisper very softly to His sacred heart whatever your own heart prompts you to say.

Great, simple advice from a role model in the spiritual life.  If she, a great mother, administrator, saint could say "Be gentle with yourself," I think we have to assume that her wisdom comes from God Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment