Saturday, November 6, 2010

Listening

Journaling is a way of listening to our inner selves---the place where God dwells.  To listen to what we are saying in our deepest part is to discover God.  When I first began to learn to pray, there came a moment when I said, "My 'me' is You!"  At my very core, I found the presence of God.

It is hard for most of us to be still enough long enough to find God within.  That's why Julia Cameron in her book The Artist's Way recommends what she calls "morning pages"---three pages a day of free - writing whatever is on one's mind, whether it makes sense or nonsense.  By peeling off the top layers of our spirits, we find what is lying beneath, and there we find the creativity that is God's Spirit within us expressing beauty through us.

The Spirit of God holds all things in balance and harmony, distilling eternal truth to all who will reach for it, guiding us into the way of peace.  But until we are ready to listen, we cannot get there.  In the 8th chapter of Romans, Paul says, "The Spirit helps us in our weakness, for we ourselves do not even know how to pray, but the Spirit pleads for us with unutterable groanings."  Sometimes, we catch a glimpse of the groanings within us through writing.

1 comment:

  1. i tried journaling before; it didn't work out. i guess whenever i 'free write' i don't actually free write. i think too much; it makes me go blank. i don't like revealing my feelings toward a piece of paper, but i don't know another way to do so. i guess i'm going to try journaling again. this inspires me to gives journaling another chance =]

    ReplyDelete