Sunday, November 28, 2021

 Jesus has taken up my life as His own.  "He was not ashamed to call them brothers" (and friends), for that is why He came -- to take up our lives as His own life.  When the Father looks at us, He sees us as One with His Son, as His Son's bride, and He welcomes us as He welcomes his very own Son, as we would welcome the spouse of one of our very own children.  Now there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8).

We tend to think of Jesus as apart from ourselves, as "out there," while we are "in here," struggling to make ends meet, so to speak.  But He has taken up all the causes of my life, in one of the translations of Lamentations 3:

Those who were my enemies without cause
hunted me like a bird.
They tried to end my life in a pit
and threw stones at me;
the waters closed over my head,
and I thought I was about to be cut off.

I called on your name, O Lord,
from the depths of the pit.
You heard my plea: "Do not close your ears to my cry for relief."
You came near when I called you, and you said, "Do not fear."

O Lord, you have taken up all the causes of my life;
You redeemed my life.

When Jesus went through His agony and crucifixion, it was because He had taken up the causes of my life, of your life.  How many of us have gone through or are going through what can only be called agony --- the agony of being despised or bullied or dismissed or discounted; the agony of loneliness, of feeling misunderstood, or left out; the agony of cancer, or MS, or life-threatening disease; the agony of separation by death from those closest to us?

When people have to flee their beloved homes and families because of fire, drought, floods, persecution; when the elderly have to be warehoused in nursing homes, when political prisoners are tortured, when children are starved and beaten, there is Someone who himself suffers and has suffered along with us:  Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning (Lamentations 3).

This is what the Resurrection of Jesus teaches us -- suffering and cruelty are not the final answer.  There is something else to come; there is newness of life from what appears to be the triumph of evil over goodness. No matter how much we kill God or one another, He is not yet finished with us.  He is always greater than what man or demon can devise, and His power is at the service of His mercy and His love.  Psalm 138 says:

In the presence of the angels I will praise you;
I will bow down toward your holy temple,
 and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness,

for you have exalted above all things your name and your word.
When I called, you answered me;
You built up strength within me....

Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
You will revive me:
You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes,
with your right hand, you save me.

The Lord will perfect that which concerns me.

Jesus came in the flesh not only to teach us how to live, but also to actively take up the causes of each life that will allow Him to enter.  He is one with us, and He will bring to completion all the things that concern us.  He who led Mary and Joseph and the Child into Egypt to escape the terror of Herod will surely lead us beyond our present circumstances, even though we face the horror of death and destruction:  Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me.....

1 comment: