Sunday, June 16, 2019

Jesus's Dog

For much of my adult life, I have wanted to be St. Dominic's dog.  St. Dominic had a vision at some point of a dog running through the streets of his hometown with a torch.  That vision is depicted in a giant mosaic in St. Dominic's Church in Lakeview, a suburb of New Orleans.  The explanation given to St. Dominic was that he was himself that dog, running with the torch of Truth throughout his world.

I, too, have longed to run with a small flame of the divine truth.  However, closer to the reality of my life, I now want to be Jesus's dog.  Before Katrina, when I lived in Metairie, I had a sweet dog who just loved me so much that she was willing to walk beside me without a leash.  When I stopped at the street corner, she would sit at my side, waiting for the signal to cross with me.  Thinking back on Ginger, I realize now how much discipline it took to stay by my side instead of chasing squirrels or cats when she saw them.  I never had to worry about her running into traffic or into danger; I knew she would stay close to me.

Once, when we were out walking, Ginger was attacked by a dog twice her size.  Instead of running away, she took refuge behind me, not trying to defend herself, but just trusting me to defend her.  Fortunately, the dog's owner was right there to protect both of us!

That's the relationship I now want with Jesus.  I know that I do not have within myself the strength of St. Dominic -- to run through the streets with the torch of divine truth.  I just want to walk beside Jesus, stopping when He stops, watching His face for the signal to move again.  When I am attacked by danger greater than my ability to defend myself, I just want to hide behind HIS power and strength, waiting for HIS defense in my weakness.  I pray that I won't be distracted by cats and squirrels in my own life, which draw my attention away from His Presence and Purpose for my life.

When I read my meditation for today, this is what it says:

When you approach Me in stillness and in trust, you are strengthened  You need a buffer zone of silence around you in order to focus on things that are unseen.  Since I am invisible, you must not let your senses dominate your thinking.  The curse of this age is overstimulation of the senses, which blocks out awareness of the unseen world....The goal is to be aware of unseen things even as you live out your life in the visible world. (Jesus Calling, June 15).

I wonder if I can be as content walking by the side of Jesus as Ginger was walking by my side, or if I need to chase a squirrel now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment