Sunday, September 23, 2018

The Holy Spirit Helps Us in our Weakness -- Part 2

In the last entry, I wrote about agreeing to pray for a priest, and then discovering that I had no clue about how to do that.  What I was about to find out, however, is that God gives us what He asks us to do.

The same day I went to Adoration and heard the words, "I want you to suffer with him," I was led to open my bible to the book of Zechariah, chapter 3.  As I began to read, I was amazed to read about Joshua, the high priest, who was being accused by Satan standing at his right hand.  The angel of the Lord rebuked Satan and told those standing near to take off Joshua's filthy clothes and to dress him in fine linen.  In addition, the filthy turban around Joshua's head was removed and replaced with a clean one.  Then the angel said to Joshua, "See, I have taken away your sin, and I will put rich garments on you" (Zech. 3:4).

The Word of the Lord is absolutely overflowing with audio-visual aids for us poor and weak students.  God is able to make us see and understand what He wants us to learn.  Now I had a clear image of my priest being cleansed of his sins and impurities so that he could indeed be an alter Christi -- another Christ -- and do the things God has called him to do. And I was able to pray, "May it be done unto him according to Your Word."

Another week passed and then I was led to begin praying Ephesians chapter 6, where Paul urges us to "put on the whole armor of God": the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, and the shoes of readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.  These are the "rich garments" with which the Spirit of the Lord wishes to clothe those who take their stand against the devil's schemes: "For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world, and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

I had asked the Lord to show me how to pray, and now I thought I had enough direction to last a lifetime.  Little did I know that there was more to come.  Somehow, The Book of Pastoral Rule of St. Gregory the Great appeared on my Kindle.  As I began reading Part II -- The Life of the Pastor -- I realized that I was being given even more very specific direction for prayer.  In chapter after chapter, Gregory urges the pastor to be pure, discreet in keeping silent, but profitable in speech, sympathetic, contemplative, a good friend, humble, zealous for righteousness -- and the list goes on.  (Our poor priests!)

I guess my "take-away" is that I should never tell the Lord that I don't know how to do what He asks me to do.  He knew that from the beginning, but He also knows that He will provide over and above -- more than we can ask or imagine, according to His power at work in us (Eph. 3) -- all that is necessary for us to carry out the mission He gives us.  In the words of St. Paul: to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations, for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment