Saturday, November 9, 2013

Why Pray 2

There is a vast store of spiritual wisdom, insight, and understanding which can never be tapped by the intellect alone.  In Colossians 2:3, Paul tells us that "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" are hidden, that is, kept secret, in Christ.  It is impossible to exploit fully the spiritual advantage of academic knowledge without access to the "treasures of wisdom and knowledge" that are hidden in Christ.  The spirit makes those treasures available mainly through our devotional [prayer] life, in the time spent alone with God.

A few hours alone with God can open up treasures of wisdom and knowledge in Christ which may have eluded one during years of purely academic training.  Christ is the original source of all knowledge.  One may learn much about Christ and spiritual things from the written and recorded works of others, but that is 'second-hand' knowledge, which is not to be despised.  But if one is willing to spend time alone with God and make prayer the main business of his life, he may tap the original source of all wisdom and knowledge for himself.

All original wisdom comes only by revelation of the Holy Spirit from God himself.  Only the truth that comes to one from God himself is original, and it is this truth alone that imparts authority to any ministry.  Therefore, the most excellent academic training is no substitute for a deep devotional life.

...God's deepest secrets are reserved for those who take time to wait upon the Lord, who take time to be alone with Him.  He has many secrets, many spiritual visions, many hidden revelations and insights which will be shared only in long hours of waiting upon God in the secret place of prayer.  If we begrudge the time spent alone with God, if we will not wait upon Him, we must be content to remain spiritually naïve, inexperienced, and immature.

If we will not take time to be alone with God, we forfeit the most priceless and invaluable secrets known to divine intelligence.  God waits to share the treasures of wisdom and knowledge with those who take time to listen.  In our devotional life, time is of essence.  If we do not take time to pray, our devotional life will be defective, anemic, and weak.
             ---from Destined to Overcome: The Technique of Spiritual Warfare by Paul E. Billheimer
*******************************************************************
Usually, I do not quote so extensively from a source without commentary on the source.  But in this case, I think Billheimer's reflections are so true, so accurate, that I cannot improve or add anything to what he is saying.  I keep this reading close to my computer so that I can re-read it from time to time and not forget his wisdom.

I have a small book called Give Us This Day that I use for my daily prayer, even though I am the most unstructured pray-er in the world.  I am a person who must always be exploring new things from one day to another, and for whom routine is stifling.  I am always looking for new routes to  work, new roads to explore, new ways of doing old things.  However, I have been using Give Us This Day regularly for two years, because I find it grounds my prayer life. Each day, there is a very short spiritual reflection by different authors both modern and ancient.  While all of them give me food for thought, I can always tell when I begin reading an excerpt written by one of the great saints.  After a couple of sentences, my heart catches fire, and I must look at the reference at the bottom to see who wrote this.  Inevitably, I discover a name like Augustine, Teresa, Anselm, etc.  My question is always, "How did I know this writing was different from all the others?"

I think the answer lies in the exact situation whereby people responded to Jesus Christ:  Spirit speaks to spirit.....My sheep know my voice, and they will not listen to another.  People who pray live in a different space -- maybe on a different planet -- from those who do not.  Some may be brilliant in knowledge and insight, but those who pray have a wisdom that comes from above, and they are able to speak to hearts seeking that wisdom also. 

More tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment