Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fruit of the Spirit of God Within Us

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.  For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature.  They are in conflict with one another, so that you do not do what you want....
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control...Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.  Since we live by the Spirit, let us be directed by the Spirit (Gal. 5:16-25) (selections).
 
Every day of my life, I am grateful to be living in a household where the "fruit of the Spirit" rules, and where I do not have to contend with anger, hostility, rage, factions, drunkenness, and the other "acts of the sinful nature," as Paul lists them in Galatians 5.  I remember many years ago going to the Cenacle for a few days of rest and reflection.  I did not understand why I was feeling so restless and upset, as there was really nothing "wrong" with my life -- except that I needed something I could not quite put my finger on.
 
In my search for "something unknown," I had explored Unitarianism, Transcendental Meditation, Yoga, and even a Hari Krishna lecture.  I didn't know what it was I wanted; I just knew that my outbursts of anger and impatience and sadness were not something I wanted to be living with all the days of my life. 
 
The nun who counseled me that evening said something so profound that it shook my soul:  "Gayle, you cannot give yourself joy."  Her words rang so true to me; I did not know that was what I was looking for -- but it was.  If I could have "given myself joy," I surely would have done it, since I had searched in so many different places for it.  But she named the unknown gift I wanted so desperately -- and at the same time, made me understand that it was a gift--not something I could manufacture for myself. 
 
As I prepared to leave the Cenacle that weekend, I heard a bird singing and singing outside my window.  I went to the window -- and there was the most beautiful cardinal perched on the narrow ledge looking in at me.  He was singing at the top of his lungs, so to speak -- and telling me a story.  Suddenly, I realized that I did not have to solve all the problems that were defeating me; nor did I have to be "perfect," a goal that constantly eluded me in a household of sick children, unwashed diapers, and uncooked meals.  All I had to do was to wake up each morning and "sing." 
 
That was the beginning of my rebirth.  As I looked to God and not to myself, my life slowly began to change.  I could do nothing to bring peace, joy, kindness, and self-control even to myself -- but I could allow God to place His own character in my heart, and I could sing songs of praise and thanksgiving as He accomplished in me all that I could not do for myself. 
 
John says, "For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ...from the fullness of His grace, we have all received one blessing after another...No one has ever seen God, but God, the only Son, who is at the Father's side, has made him known."
 
We can "do" great things:  we can speak with the tongues of angels; we can have the gift of prophecy; we can have the faith to move mountains and can fathom all mysteries -- but if we have not love (kindness, peace, patience, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control) -- if we have not the character of God Himself within us, all the "gifts" of the Spirit are to no avail
 
God's greatest desire is for us to be like He is, so that He can have communion with us: Spirit-to-spirit.  He does not need us to do great things for Him; He can do whatever He chooses to do with whatever instruments He chooses to do them.  But His peace, His own joy, His own love, His own kindness, His own faithfulness and truth and self-control---these are the gifts He wants to bestow on all who will receive them.  Then, and only then, when we are like He is, can He trust us to build His kingdom and not our own.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment