Sunday, September 23, 2012

Seeking Wisdom

When I was in the 8th grade, the nun who taught us loved art, and her art classes were full of inspiration.  She gave us models to copy-- which for me took the pressure off tying to create something from scratch-- and then gave us time to work on our own.  I always found that time peaceful and quiet and restful, as the whole class concentrated on copying an image and then coloring it in.

One day, she brought in images of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit and allowed us to choose one to replicate.  I chose Sapientia -- Wisdom.  The image was an oil lamp, something like Aladdin's lamp, with the word curved over it.  I remember that while working on that image, I fell in love with the idea of wisdom, and I remember wanting it more than anything else. 

Later, in high school or college, I remember writing a poem that has long been lost.  But it expressed an image of my daily holding up a chalice to the Lord, in order to receive pure, sparkling Wisdom, or Truth, in the form of a clear, refreshing liquid -- maybe it was water, but seemed more than that.  I remember writing that I wanted to receive Wisdom and "pour it out, distilled, into the world."  Later, I puzzled over the word "distilled," as that usually means refining out impurities, an image that didn't seem to fit at the time. 

Now, though, I see "distilled" as more "titration," or in other words, pouring it out drop by drop into the world.  I think this might be all I really want-- to receive wisdom and to give it out as I receive it.  I cannot hold it within; the cup spills over as it fills up, and I cannot hold it in. 

This morning, I began re-reading the book of Proverbs; that book, along with Sirach, or Wisdom, never fails to fill my cup to overflowing.  When I first began reading the Bible, I would race through, eager to know what it said.  Now that I know what it says, though, I find myself reading more and more slowly, drinking more deeply from each word and phrase.  Instead of reading a paragraph or a page, I read a phrase or a sentence.  It is just like sipping wine instead of gulping it.

In fact, Wisdom is personified in Chapter 9 of Proverbs as a woman who 'mixes wine' and offers it freely to those who will enter the house she has built and "hewn out its seven pillars."  Now that I have spent many years seeking wisdom, I begin to understand the treasure that was given to me early in life, when I fell in love with wisdom.  The book of Proverbs enumerates many gifts that Wisdom holds in her hands:  prosperity, straight paths, health, nourishment, longevity, riches and honor, peace, pleasant ways, and a Tree of Life -- the Gift offered to Adam and Eve in Paradise, but which they rejected in favor of the Tree of Knowledge (Experience) of Good and Evil.

Wisdom is better than gold and richer than silver; she watches over and protects those who seek her: when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.  As I read those words again this morning, I thought to myself:  Wisdom is better than winning the Publishers' Clearinghouse Sweepstakes!  From what I hear, those who win the lottery are forever plagued with pleas and requests to share their good fortune.  But Wisdom brings riches along with sweet rest and peace. 

I wish I could hand everyone I meet the Book of Proverbs and say, "Eat This!  It is sweeter than honey and richer than wine, and you will find rest for your soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment