Saturday, May 7, 2011

Now I Know the Real God!

Many years ago, while teaching foreign students at Delgado, a young mother from Taiwan confessed to me that she was being blackmailed by a Texas lawyer who was holding her papers and threatening to expose her if she did not pay blackmail money to him.  She had come to the U. S. on a temporary visa, but her children loved the high schools they were attending and did not want to return home.  She fled Texas from fear of the lawyer and enrolled her children in N.O. schools; she was attending Delgado to learn English. 

During the conversation, she told me, "I pray and pray to your Jesus, but he doesn't do anything!"  "Maybe this is his answer," I replied.  "I know a lawyer you can trust; he might be able to help you."  She was so grateful she asked if she could come to church with me, and then she wanted to join a bible study I was leading.

Since she cleaned houses in the evening, she came to her first bible study at 9:00 pm, just as we were preparing to leave.  But she had come so far, and I could not let her leave right away.  So, I went through the first chapter of Genesis with her, and then we went to the first chapter of John.  Right away, she "got it."  "How can I receive this Jesus," she asked?  I told her she just had to ask for Him to come into her heart.  "I cannot;" she replied, "there is too much crime in me."  "Yes," I said, "that's why he came---to take away the crime." 

Then she willingly knelt on the floor while we prayed.  Suddenly she jumped up, crying and shouting, "Now I know the real God!"   She told us that all her life, she had visited the Buddhist temples, lighting over a hundred candles before the idols, but she had never known the "real" God.  "How could I have not known these were idols?" she asked.  She was more "on fire" with the Presence of God than anyone I had ever seen, and the light of understanding was all over her. 

She went home that night and told her son and daughter about the "real" God, and prayed with them to receive Jesus.  She called her husband in Taiwan; immediately he sensed the change in her because she was not crying as usual.  "How can I know this real God," he asked?  "Ask for Jesus to come into your heart," she told him---"and buy a bible."

Later that year, her son began a bible study group in his high school.  Her husband was reading the bible in Taiwan.  She was reading the bible.  I have never before or since experienced the reality of Pentecost exactly the way it happened that night with a young mother from Taiwan.  Glory be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment