Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Why?

First love; then understanding.

Most of us seek first to know, to understand, to comprehend the things of God before we surrender to Him. Like adolescents, we cry out, "Why?" "Tell me why I can't stay out all night on the beach with my friends!" In our case, like Job, we want to know why the innocent suffer if God is good, why the world does not spin according to the way we believe it should. We cannot believe in a God who would permit the things we see; we cannot accept the unfairness of the Old Testament God or of the Jesus of the New Testament, who allows sinners access to the Father. We don't understand the ways of God, so we do not accept nor surrender to Him.

But Jesus said, "If anyone wants to know whether my teaching is true, let him do what I say and he will know if my words are true." First, we surrender and let go of needing to know/ understand. Then we will know.

Only my friends, those who love me, understand the things I do. Others may think I am crazy or out of touch with reality or not even care about the things I do. But those who "walk with me" understand who I am and what I do. So it is with God. Jesus said, "I [now] call you friends, because a servant does not know what his master is doing." In the Old Testament, God says, "Indeed, the Lord God does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants, the prophets" (Amos 3:7).  The prophets could interpret the signs of the times because they walked with God, loved Him, and understood what He was doing.
 
If we love Him, He will make His ways known to us, and we will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment